Did you know that teeth whitening is one of the most popular requests at a dental office? Over 90% of patients request it at some point in their lives. Considering it, but have questions? Here are some answers:
Why are my teeth not white anymore?
There are many possible reasons:
• What you put in your mouth: coffee, tea, red wine and tobacco contain color pigments or tar that can stain your teeth.
• Medications: antihistamines, antipsychotics, or high blood pressure medicine can stain your teeth, as well as medical treatments you’ve had, such as chemotherapy or radiation.
• Age: The older you get, the thinner your enamel layer becomes and more of the yellowish dentin underneath shows
• Physical trauma to the mouth: This can also cause your dentin to unveil itself
How do teeth whiteners make my smile brighter?
All whitening products contain bleach, namely hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide. How do they remove stains? By breaking them up into smaller pieces, just like laundry bleach does to stains on your clothes. Fortunately, as long as your product has an ADA seal of approval or you are being treated at Granger Family Dentistry PC, these treatments are gentle enough to brighten your smile without weakening your teeth.
Does whitening work on all teeth?
Not all. Dr. Thomas Anglemire can give you the most personalized advice, but here are a few guidelines:
• Yellow teeth bleach well. Brown and gray tones might not respond well to treatment.
• Veneers, crowns and fillings are not bleachable.
• Discoloration caused by medications or injuries cannot likely be reversed with whitening treatments.
Have more questions? We have answers. Call us at Granger Family Dentistry PC in Granger, Indiana at 574-277-5406. We’ll do everything possible to help your smile sparkle.